I wanted to cure the entire pot and give it nice oxide coat inside, but I also didn’t want to go through a whole take of propane. Looking at my kitchen stove, I was worried that a 25 gallon pot filled with water would break it. Then something crazy came to mind… If I could stand on the stove and it hold me, why wouldn’t it be able to hold my 25 gal pot full of water. I had to put it to test, but I only went for 20 gallons.
Based on my prior calculations and the pot size, for every 0.7″ of my pot, it yields 1 gallon. 1 gallon of water weighs approximately 8.35 lbs. Therefore, I would need to fill my pot with about 14″ of water to get 20 gal, and that amount should weigh about 167 lbs. That along with the 20 lb weight of the pot, brings my test to a total of 190 lbs approximately. I weigh smidge more than that, so again, why wouldn’t it work.
Now, with the pot on the stove and water added, time to boil. It took for-ev-er to bring it even close to boiling. It never actually boiled but did end up getting a nice looking patina. You can see my 7.5 gal markings below the water line (the darker aluminum), now to get that on the entire pot.
Now here’s the dumb moment… One thing I failed to consider, was how the heck I would get the water out. At the end of my boil, I wasn’t thinking clearly and decided to try my auto-siphon. I now have a new one…yeah, it was too hot and ended up warping the plastic. I finally got it drain with my tubing portion, but I had to throw away the rest of the siphon.
Lesson Learned: Had I only thought of letting it cool first…duh!